Friday, May 10, 2013

Time Flies!

I just looked out my window and noticed all the cars and people coming to the football field for high school graduation tonight. I feel oddly detached from the event because I don't know anyone who is graduating. Even though we live right next to the high school and just a short distance from the elementary school, we homeschool our children. Most of the people we go to church with also homeschool or live in a different school district. Our oldest son did take a computer class at the high school this year and liked it very much. But that's not my point...

What I'm thinking about is how fast time goes by! It reminds me of a song called "Improve the Shining Moments" by Robert B. Baird. The 2nd verse goes like this--

          Time flies on wings of lightning;
          We cannot call it back.
          It comes, then passes forward
          Along its onward track.
          And if we are not mindful,
          The chance will fade away,
          For life is quick in passing.
          'Tis as a single day.
 
I can't believe it's been almost 6 months since my last post! This is no way to write a blog! Who do I think I am anyway? Well, that kind of self-talk won't get me anywhere!
 
It's true that we cannot call time back, but it's also true that we don't need to live in a hurry! It's okay to slow down! This painting and poem by Greg Olsen illustrate this beautifully (notice the cute little chipmunk!) --
 
Take My Hand
 
TAKE MY HAND by Greg Olsen - 2008

Take my hand and follow me,
There are things ahead for you to see.

Little wonders are all around,
And tender mercies to be found.

We’ll take our time, no need to run,
Breathe deep the air and feel the sun.

The grass is soft beneath our feet,
Sounds are soothing, the air is sweet.

Sometimes we’ll stop and just be still,
Our hearts will tell us God is real!

Small graces along our path appear,
They let us know that Heaven’s near.

So take my hand anew each day,
The walk is lovely and I know the way.
__________________________
 
I'm thankful to know that my Savior is always there for me and "his hand is stretched out still (Isaiah 5:25)." He doesn't want me to regret the past, but move forward with faith. He loves me and has many gifts for me to receive and use.
 
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life (1 Ne. 31:20)."

Here's a little quote my Grandpa told me--
 
          Yesterday is history;
          Tomorrow is a mystery;
          Today is a GIFT--
               that's why we call it the PRESENT!
 

1 comment: